Ruben Amorim has left Patrick Dorgu out of Manchester United's starting line-up to face Crystal Palace after the defender appeared to ridicule him on social media. Earlier this month, Dorgu's Instagram account 'liked' a post criticising Amorim's team selection, sparking speculation about a possible rift between the two.
The post included a screenshot of a comment from X which read: "Any coach that sees Casemiro and Bruno Fernandes as a viable pivot is one that isn't serious."
There is no concrete evidence linking Amorim's decision to Dorgu's social media activity. However, the Denmark international had started United's previous two matches - a 1-0 loss to Everton and a 2-2 draw against Tottenham.
Diogo Dalot has instead been given the nod at left-wing back, with Amad Diallo filling in on the right in front of a back-three consisting of Luke Shaw, Matthijs de Ligt and Leny Yoro. Dorgu, meanwhile, has had to settle for a place on the bench.
Speaking to TNT Sports on Sunday, Amorim insisted his selection was driven only by training ground performances at Carrington. He said: "It's the way you train.
READ MORE: Ruben Amorim 'feels anxiety' every time his Man Utd signing touches the ball
READ MORE: Man Utd legend reveals the one moment he wants back to 'shut up Roy Keane'
"They trained really well, the others too. Then the tactical aspect. Mason Mount is really smart, gives us more possession. He is intense, he can score goals so is one more player to be near the box."
It comes after Amorim admitted that Dorgu, who missed a golden chance to equalise against Everton, was suffering a crisis of confidence. "You can feel the anxiety every time Patrick touches the ball. I can feel the anxiety," the Portuguese coach said.
"When I see Patrick playing for the national team, he scored a great goal against Scotland and the decision that he made under pressure was completely different than the decision he's making in our team. I think it's the decision, he needs to be calmer playing the game.
"I remember the shot against Everton. That was easier than the decision he had to make when a guy from Scotland was there. I saw it when he played in Italy. But again, here is different and sometimes the pressure is hard for them in the beginning. He has time to improve."
Dorgu was Amorim's first major signing at United, joining from Lecce for £25million midway through last season. He immediately became a regular figure in the side, with Amorim happily deploying him as the team's only out-and-out wing-back.
However, periods of inconsistent form have tempered some of the excitement that followed his arrival. After starting five of United's opening league games this season, he was dropped to the bench for the following four.
Although he returned to the starting line-up against Tottenham earlier this month, a disappointing display against Everton seems to have pushed him down the pecking order once again.
United will be eager for three points after failing to win their last three league games. Monday's defeat to the Toffees ended a five-match unbeaten run, United's longest under Amorim.
The Red Devils head into the match sitting 12th in the table. A victory could lift them as high as fifth, but overcoming Crystal Palace will be no easy feat.
United haven't won at Selhurst Park since 2020 and are winless in their last four encounters with the Eagles. Their most recent meeting ended in a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford in February, with Jean-Philippe Mateta scoring twice in the second half.
Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp communityand receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Contact to : xlf550402@gmail.com
Copyright © boyuanhulian 2020 - 2023. All Right Reserved.