New Delhi: US President Donald Trump on Saturday announced an immediate increase in the 10 per cent worldwide tariff to 15 per cent, after what he described as a “ridiculous” and “extraordinarily anti-American” decision on tariffs by the United States Supreme Court.
The US president’s decision came after he suffered a major setback after the Supreme Court on Friday struck down sweeping tariffs imposed by his administration, ruling that the president had exceeded his authority by using emergency powers meant for national crises.
The court added that Trump relied on a law designed for national emergencies to justify broad trade tariffs, which judges concluded went beyond presidential powers.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the decision had been issued “after many months of contemplation” and that he had conducted a “thorough, detailed, and complete review” before taking action.
“As President of the United States of America, [I] will be, effective immediately, raising the 10 per cent Worldwide Tariff on Countries… to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15 per cent level,” Trump wrote.
He argued that several countries had been “ripping” the United States off for decades “without retribution (until I came along!)”, and said the tariff increase was within legally permissible limits.
Trump added that over the next few months, his administration would “determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs”, signalling the possibility of additional trade measures.
The president framed the move as part of his broader economic agenda, saying the tariffs would continue what he described as the “extraordinarily successful process” of “Making America Great Again – GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE”.
Contact to : xlf550402@gmail.com
Copyright © boyuanhulian 2020 - 2023. All Right Reserved.